For details about my work have a look at my website, www.lauraboswell.co.uk

I am currently working on large prints combining water based woodblock techniques with oil based linocut: nothing if not a challenge! I'm also doing some teaching and go back to school myself in the spring to qualify as an adult education tutor

Tuesday 23 February 2010

Good Housekeeping

The problem, I feel, with the short bout of food poisoning I had recently was that, after a couple of hours lying on the bathroom floor wishing for death, I was forced to the disagreeable conclusion that not only were the gates of Paradise going to remain firmly closed, but that it was high time to sand down and repaint the room’s skirting boards.

One thing we did manage last week was to replace the kitchen floor. It’s not often we get interior decoration wrong, but we’ve had nine years of a pale laminate floor which, since it showed every micro-particle of dirt in glaring detail, would have been a perfect worktop surface in a forensic laboratory (no more government enquiries into lost evidence, however small), but was a disaster for a working kitchen. Now we have cork – swirling chunks of the stuff in cross section a bit like marble, but marginally less expensive. It looks beautiful and is brilliant at concealing dirt; I know this because I only discovered the remains of a dead mouse this morning by treading on it with bare feet.

While our kitchen floor was approved by an architect friend and his wife who came round for dinner, my studio heating was condemned. This may have been because I put the fire on and it made their lovely clothes reek. I am resigned to smelling like a construction worker’s site office, but I realise that ‘Bute’ for men is never going to be a stocking filler. I am however quite safe: my brother has insisted I install a carbon monoxide monitor. This shows a touching concern for his little sister’s safety which I’m pleased to say he never exhibited when I was small and he was my twelve years bigger, marvellous, dangerous and tyrannical babysitter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You could bite the bullet and replace the butane burner with an infra-red heater, e.g. something like TC18 from www.seaton.co.uk

No more smell, no more pints of water released into the studio from your heat source. Plus you could make decent-tasting toast in front of it...

Babysitter: Denise often reminds me we jumped bicycles off a ramp over you in the garden when you were very small, much as if you were the bus in an Evel Kneivel jump. To this day I don't see why she finds that so outrageous; it's just physics.

Unknown said...

Or, if you don't want so much of a fire risk and don't care about toast, you could think about an oil-filled radiator. But it won't warm up as quick.

Unknown said...

What about the incident with the harpoon then!

scaroosh said...

Loved the blog and thanks for a great lunch and trip round the new studio.
Good luck
See you soon